Tuesday, December 7, 2010

English Essay - Journal Entry

Our Essay in English had to be about a subcultural -  that you believe is one thing but someone else believes the opposite, or something that you want people to understand more. I wrote my essay on Equestrian Riding and how people don't believe its a sport. So, here is my essay.

Rider 251
3, 2, 1 and you’re off! “Now on course rider 251 -  Sara Brookshire and  You’re So Fancy”. I feel the wind running through my hair, adrenaline racing, praising my horse, smiling and having the time of my life. I go over jump after jump, hearing the announcer say “Rider 251 cleared jump.” As I get to each jump, I hear my family and friends cheering me on. They are all my inspiration. I hear my mom because she’s the loudest one screaming my name while crying at the same time. She tells me that she is proud of me and to keep up the good work.  I get to the finish line, I hear the announcer say “Rider 251 clean ride with a time of 6:32”. I am in tears of joy that I finished another course. I jump off my horse, the veterinarians and volunteers are taking my helmet, jump vest and boots off. They rush to take off Fancy’s tack, taking temperatures, sponging her down and cooling her off.  When I finished the course I have never felt so happy, relieved and proud of not only myself, but my horse as well. 
Throughout my equestrian riding I have heard so many peoples’ view on it, and they seem to think that it isn’t a sport, just like snowboarding, rock climbing, and dance aren’t sports either. They are truly wrong for something to be called a sport doesn’t always have to mean that you are on a team, that you practice everyday, or that you always have to win or lose each time.  The truth is in this sport, its not about winning or losing, its about finishing and having the time of your life. To succeed in the sport of equestrian riding and gain skills you must ride and practice each day, just like any other sport. You must build strength and confidence in your riding and the only way to do that is through experience, commitment and time. When competing you are normally a single rider, but you have friends and family that are competing right along side you.


There are three stages in equestrian riding that you must prepare and train for. Dressage is the first: this is the elegant part, where you memorize a pattern with letters and are judged on flow,balance, rhythm, and staying on course.  The second part of the competition is x-country: this is the endurance part and is completed at a fast pace, therefore this stage is the one that you mainly train for.  You have a course of multiple jumps all spread out in an open field or a forest like  environment with many twists and turns, going up hills and down. In this part you are only allowed to have three refusals during the time on course. If you get three or more refusals or fall off,  then are you eliminated from the event. The third and final stage of the event is show jumping: you memorize a course of jumps in an arena usually no more than 14 jumps, you must finish in a certain amount of time and try to complete the course with out knocking down poles or your horse refusing to jump. This stage is just like x-country you are only allowed to have 3 refusals. 



I have been involved in Equestrian riding since I was 9 years old. I have had my horse for over five years and she has became truly my best friend. We share a bond that not one will never understand. I know I can always count on her to be there for me when times are rough. Even though she can’t talk, her ears have always been open to listen. I just jump on her back and let her take me wherever she goes. On her back I feel like I’m in heaven because nothing goes wrong. She follows me without being asked, she rubs her head on mine, and when I look at her and feel a tingle feeling down my spine, I know that she loves me. Riding allows me to grow in many different ways, I have gained leadership, self discipline, responsibility, and confidence. 


I have been involved in an organization called “United States Pony Club” for over ten years. I have met so many people and I know that those friendships will last forever. I started off at the lower level and as the years moved on, I moved up in my riding and became a stronger rider. The different levels show the abilities in your riding, and your level of knowledge. It is a standard rating system that guides the members into learning more about horses while becoming an accomplished rider. Riding has not only made me a strong rider, but it has allowed me to grow as a person and has been a positive influence in my life. I have been to many different shows, events and even qualified for a nationals.

June 18, 2007, this was the day that I knew my dream was about to come true. I competed in an event so that I could qualify for nationals in Lexington, Kentucky, and I did it! That day I was determined and ready to prove to everyone that “dreams do come true.” I only had a month to prepare and train for nationals, so as soon as I got home I got started. The trip was going to be expensive since we were driving across the country to Kentucky. So with the help of my parents, we asked for donations from many businesses around the community and had many fundraisers.  I trained by riding at the hottest point of the day so my body could adapt to the heat. There were even times where I turned the sprinklers on so there would be humidity along with the heat. I spent over $500 for lessons with my trainers and many hours of my own time studying the dressage pattern and getting all my things organized. 



The day had come where we loaded the trunk with food, clothing, and tack. I washed and loaded my horse up and set on for our 5 day trip to Kentucky.  The days went by with traveling through 11 different states stopping along the way for stabling and sleep after 8-12 hour car rides.  July 21, 2007, we finally see a sign “Welcome to Lexington Kentucky”, my heart dropped and it finally hit me. I am here. I made it.  All I could focus on was the luscious green grass, the beautiful stables and horses. We got to the Horse park, checked in and got my horse all settled in.  The next day I met my team members from New York and then it began, the competition.  I was so excited to start riding and competing, I met so many new people, made memories and experiences that I will never forget. After each stage of the competition, I didn't care if it didn’t go the way that I wanted it to go, maybe I got nervous or had a few poles knock down, all I cared about was finishing and doing my best and that is exactly what I did.  I finished 7th in the nation out of 139 riders in my division and it was the best feeling that I could ever experience. 


In end of all this I took back so much with me. I learned that if you really want to make your dream come true then move forward and do your best to make it happen. Sometimes you have to sacrifice and that is what it is all about. If you want something so bad, then you must do everything that you can to get it, and that is exactly what I did. I worked hard, trained hard, opened my heart, and achieved my dream. There are so many young adults out there that try, but they don’t try hard enough to reach their goal or dream, so they give up. Don’t ever allow yourself to give up until you can’t give anything at all and then that is when you know you tried your hardest. I didn’t ever think that I was going to achieve my dream and goal of competing in nationals and riding on the same course as some of the olympic equestrian riders, but with my faith in God, the help of my parents and the time my trainers spent with me, I did and I wouldn’t change anything.


If you think about it, being an equestrian rider is just like any other sport. It takes time, commitment, faith, passion and love to become the best and to become someone you want to be. Athletes say that sports changed their lives, not the people,  but in my sport my horse changed my life, she gave me confidence and self-esteem, she provided me with peace and gave me hope. The countless hours of practicing and becoming a stronger athlete brought me to my dream. I 

DID practice everyday, I DID win, I WAS on a team and I gave it my all. Therefore, I do 
consider myself an equestrian athlete.  So, where do you stand? Is equestrian riding a sport?

No comments:

Post a Comment