Tuesday, December 7, 2010

This i believe - Journal Entry.

In English we had to write an essay about something that you believe in and here is what i wrote. 



                                                   Self- Respect

“It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to commit to it is when it’s discovery shows infirmity of character.” I have been in a situation where I have not respected
myself, I have respected others more  than myself. I finally realized that living that way is not the answer. You need to be able to respect yourself, your choices and who you are. If there is ever a time where you haven’t respected yourself that is probably a time where you have made a bad choice.
The first part of high school was hard. I was making choices that were not healthy and trying to be someone that I wasn’t. There was a time where I didn’t respect myself and decided to do something, little did I know that choice was going to almost cost me my future. I started to allow others to control me. I was breaking into peer pressure and doing things that I shouldn’t be doing and allowing others to control my life. I was the small one in my class, the skinniest and the shortest, people called me “babysara”. It was always easy to be pushed around or made fun of. 
As I grew up and went through high school, I became more mature and I started to realize that it’s not okay. So, I stood my ground and started to express to others that I wasn’t going to allow them to continue to control me.  I began to control my own life, because it was becoming unhealthy for me.I branched out to different friends, I was striving to improve and starting to maintain my own independence. I learned that people cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.
Today, I am completely a different person. I have my own morals and opinions, I stand up for what I believe in and don’t give into peer pressure. I have respect for myself and if you don’t like me for who I am, then you don’t have to be in my life. It’s your choice not mine. I live life to the fullest and I take every opportunity that I can. I respect my actions, what I say, what I believe in and that is who I am. I do not change for anybody, but myself. Although I am still known as “babysara,” I continue to have self-respect.
Self Respect isn't bragging about how great you are. It's more like quietly knowing that you're worth a lot. It's not about thinking you're perfect because nobody is, but knowing that you're worthy of being loved and accepted for who you are. Respect your efforts and respect
yourself.  Self-respect leads to self-discipline.  When you have both firmly under your belt, that's the real power.

No comments:

Post a Comment